I tell stories with data, and can follow the whole process: from the data collection (or scrape) to the data visualization.
I am currently also project leader at Batjo, a Google DNI funded project investigating the intersection of journalism, data and digital fabrication.
When I get the chance, I love teaching data storytelling, especially to students, journalists and activists.
Previously, I have worked in Amsterdam (NL) as lead data journalist at the startup Silk, a semantic web platform for publishing and visualizing data. In this position, other than producing data storytelling content, I have also counselled academia, NGOs and businesses on producing their own data stories.
I privilege the use of open source tools and/or of coding. I have a BA in History from the University of Siena (IT) and a MA specializing in data journalism from Tilburg University (NL).
Download CV in PDF format.
Founder and Project Leader
Mar. 2018 - Present · Venice, Italy
· Project at the intersection of data, journalism and digital fabrication
Data Storytelling Practice
Jan. 2018 - Present
- · Data Storytelling Advisor · June 2018
- · Visuals, Storytelling and Activism · Jan. 2018 - Present
Data Storytelling Instructor
Jan. 2018 - Present
- · Professor for the Module 'Data Storytelling' in the Data Science MA · April 2018 - May 2018
A Career Gap for the Family
Aug. 2016 - Jan. 2018 · Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Took time off to start a family, care for my newborn daughter, move to another country, and practice Python & Yoga
Lead Data Journalist & Trainer
Jan. 2014 - Aug. 2016 · Amsterdam, The Netherlands
· Startup for data publishing and interactive storytelling. Acquired by Palantir in Aug. 2016
Sept. 2013 - Jan. 2014 · Tilburg, The Netherlands
· Virtual lab at Tilburg University on data journalism trends and techniques
- Member of the 'Climate Finance Lab' team, investigating financial data stories behind climate policies.
- Co-authored paper with Dr. Stefania Milan on journalism and algorithms. Selected for a panel at 'Rethinking Journalism'
May. 2013 - Jan. 2014 · remote
May. 2013 - June 2013 · Amsterdam, The Netherlands
· Major Dutch newspaper